Find out the benefits of being part of Sisters in Crime/Los Angeles:
- Monthly meetings: Meet and greet fellow mystery readers and writers at our monthly meetings. Learn from guest speakers who are experts in their fields, including detectives, editors, best-selling authors, publicists and more. Each month we offer one member author the opportunity to read a short passage from his/her published work. Books can be purchased from our onsite bookseller and signed by the author after the meeting.
- Signings and Panels: Chapter members seeking speaking opportunities are invited to join the SinC/LA Speakers Bureau. Our Speakers Bureau Director arranges for published authors to speak and sign books at libraries and other venues.
- Seminars/Workshops: Discounted classes are presented on various aspects of writing.
- Anthologies: SinC/LA members as well as members from the Orange County and Hawaii chapters can submit short stories for LA’s biennial mystery anthology published by a traditional press. 2019 will see the release of the new anthology, Fatally Haunted. Past titles include: LAst Resort, along with Murder in La-La-Land, Murder on Sunset Blvd., LAndmarked for Murder, Murder X 13, Deadly Dozen, LAst Exit to Murder, Ladies Night, and our two cookbooks Desserticide and Desserticide II.
- Monthly New Release emails: The 25th of each month, we email a list of new releases by published SinC/LA authors to our entire membership, past members, and all parties who expressed interest in chapter activities.
- For Your Consideration list: Only members of the SinC Los Angeles chapter can be listed on our website to let people know of their works eligible for awards consideration.
- Ransom Notes: Our informative monthly members-only newsletter offers up-to-date information about members, events and tips of the trade. Authors can contribute information on upcoming books (including paying a small fee to include covers), signings, and appearances.
- Book Festivals: The chapter offers our published author members the opportunity to sign books at our annual booth at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books and other local area book festivals.
- California Crime Writers Conference: The chapter co-hosts a biennial two-day writer’s conference in partnership with the Southern California Chapter of Mystery Writers of America. The California Crime Writers Conference (formerly titled No Crime Unpublished™) is held in June in odd-numbered years (2015, 2017, 2019) at a luxury hotel in the Los Angeles area and features two days of workshops and breakout sessions taught by top-notch faculty including best-selling authors, literary agents, and legal and forensic experts. Manuscript critiques are also offered. For information click the “California Crime Writers Conference” page on the menu bar or visit www.ccwconference.org.
- Networking: Take advantage of opportunities to make new friends, network with other writers and create lasting ties within the mystery community through opportunities to meet locally and as as part of our WordPress based Community.
Ready to join? Find out how.