SCROLL DOWN TO SEE
Awards and Nominations
Conferences, Festivals & Fairs
Free Webinars & Other Programs
Calls for Submission
Info on the latest calls for submission will be provided to our members under separate cover.
The latest anthology from Akachic Books, SOUTH CENTRAL NOIR, edited by Gary Phillips, drops Sept. 3. It features stories by members Désirée Zamorano, Naomi Hirahara, Jeri Westerson, and Phillips.
Publishers Weekly said this: “The 14 tales in this strong entry in Akashic’s noir series focus on the robust past and present of one of the most notorious areas not just in Southern California but the country . . . Phillips and his contributors dig deep, presenting a rich tapestry of stories varied in tone and perspective.”
Due out August 30, Gigi Pandian’s latest in the Accidental Alchemist series:
THE ALCHEMIST OF RIDDLE AND RUIN
When Zoe Faust sees the ghost of a murdered young woman, is it really a spirit—or a flesh and blood woman who stopped aging because she’s a fellow alchemist? When the newly-appeared ghost turns dangerous, Zoe teams up with her gargoyle roommate Dorian to unmask the supposed specter.
Coming soon from Pegasus Books: HAUNTED TALES, co-edited by our members Lisa Morton, six-time Bram Stoker Award winner, and Leslie S. Klinger, renowned authority on Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, Frankenstein, HP Lovecraft, etc. In this new volume, award-winning anthologists Klinger and Morton present an eclectic collection of ghosty tales certain to haunt the reader long past the closing page.
Pre-Order at Dark Delicacies Bookstore: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p2674/Sun%2C_Aug_28th_3_pm%3A_Haunted_Tales_HB.html#/
or at Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Haunted-Tales-Classic-Stories-Supernatural/dp/1639361979/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1658801018&sr=8-5
or at Mysrius Galaxy: https://www.mystgalaxy.com/book/9781639361977
Coming on October 1: Sheila Lowe’s newest novel, THE LAST DOOR.
When identical twins inherit a Victorian mansion from a stranger, the bequest changes everything they knew about their past.
It’s # 3 in her Beyond the Veil series. You can pre-order it here:
Now available: short fiction by Gay Toltl Kinman:
A gunman attacks at the airport. Some lives are lost; some are changed forever in this collection of seven short stories. https://www.amazon.com/Shooter-Mystery-Short-Story/dp/B0B5KNVSPV/ref=sr_1_1?
Out now in the children’s fiction category: the story of three kids who get in over their heads when they form a detective agency to find out who is pulling pranks at the ranch. http://https://www.amazon.com/Mystery-at-Rodeo-Ranch/dp/B0B7QFSGBR/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?
Originally published as “The Third Act” in Death by Cupcake, edited by Jess Faraday (Elm Books 2022), CUPCAKE is now a single on Kindle. Definitely not your mother’s recipe!! https://www.amazon.com/Cupcake-Gay-Toltl-Kinman-ebook/dp/B0B6FCJ59Z/ref=sr_1_1?
Awards and Nominations
Two of our members’ works in progress are FINALISTS in the competition for
2022 Killer Nashville Claymore Award:
Laurie Stevens’s THE RETURN is a finalist in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category
Lori Dillman’s TO FREE A PANTHER is a finalist in the Thriller category
GOOD LUCK to both!
Hot Off the Press…
Jennifer J. Chow’s DEATH BY BUBBLE TEA, the first book in her L.A. Night Market Mystery series, got reviewed in the New York Times and hit the SoCal Indie Bestseller List!
Dennis Palumbo will serve as Consulting Producer on the upcoming Hulu suspense series THE PATIENT, from the creative team behind THE AMERICANS. The new limited series premieres on August 30th and deals with a therapist (played by Steve Carell) who’s held hostage by a serial killer desperate to be cured of his homicidal urges.
Steve Carell in Hulu’s THE PATIENT
Come see Jennifer Chow at Vroman’s on Tuesday, August 2 at 7 pm. She’ll be talking about DEATH BY BUBBLE TEA.
Lisa Morton and Les Klinger will be signing HAUNTED TALES at Dark Delicacies bookstore in Burbank on Sunday, August 28 at 3 pm.
Mike Befeler will discuss “Lessons Learned as an Author” at the Long Beach Kiwanis Club on Tuesday August 16 at noon, in conjunction with his latest novel, OLD DETECTIVES HOME
Come hear Gary Phillips and Desiree Zamorano discuss SOUTH CENTRAL NOIR on September 3 from 11 to 1 at the Southern California Library at 6120 S. Vermont Ave in South L.A.
Conferences, Festivals & Fairs
Aug 4-7 Pittsburg PA
Mystery Writers Conference
Aug 5 – 7 Corte Madera CA
Aug 18-21 Franklin TN
Sept 8-11 Minneapolis MN
Note – Scholarships are available
If you are interested in going to one of these and want to know who else from SinCLA is planning to attend, why not put the word out via our “io” group? https://groups.io/g/SistersInCrimeLA
The next California Crime Writers Conference, a joint biennial production of MWA-SoCal and SinCLA, will take place June 10 and 11, 2023. Stay tuned. We are seeking volunteers to help with various aspects of the event. Contact Judith Mathison: email@example.com
Benefits of Membership
*Info on Calls for Submission
*Early alerts for writing contests
*Publicity for your releases
*Publicity for your appearances
*Publicity for your nominations and awards
*Public speaking opportunities
*Book signing spots at LA Times Festival of Books
*Discounted fees for workshops
*Subscription to the lauded Ransom Notes newsletter
*Early registration notice for the often sold-out Cal Crime Writers Conference
*Educational programs on craft, the business, and marketing
*Submission opportunities to SinCLA’s biennial anthologies
*Networking, Mentoring, Community
*Book Club (new)
*Critique Group (new)
If you aren’t already a member, JOIN NOW.
Membership is HALF OFF through Oct. 31, 2022.
The Public Safety Writers’ Association consists of people who write mysteries, thrillers, and non-fiction with a public safety theme. David E. Knop just returned from the PSWA annual conference in Las Vegas. “This is my sixth conference,” David says. “And the beauty of PSWA is its family atmosphere and a population of attendees with an infinity of experience. Ask a question and be confident the answer comes from a man or woman who has walked the walk. Take advantage of the writing competition and a highly responsive blog.” www.policewriter.com
Webinars, Panels & Other Online Resources
Low Cost or FREE
1) The Nor Cal chapter of SinC invites SinC members to Behind CSI: Mythbusting Forensics in Movies and TV on August 6 from 12 – 2. Speaker Melissa Kreikemeier is a forensic scientist with 7 years experience in a state crime lab and 3 years teaching forensics abroad. Learn what to avoid and what to include in your work. See her website www.flowersandforensics.com — and register for this program:
2) Do you want to Present Like a Pro for Media, Blogs, Panels & Readings? Then attend this SinC (national) webinar on August 9 at 4 pm PDT. “Does the prospect of doing a media interview or being on an authors’ panel terrify you? Do you crave more eyes on your blogs or yearn to transform yourself into an extrovert to sell books? Do you want to be more effective in presenting yourself (and your book) to the world? Communications pro Pat Remick will share tips and tricks for mastering a variety of opportunities and formats that can help ensure success for you and your book(s).”
3) Lisa Unger, NYT Bestselling mystery and thriller author, will join the Citrus Crime Writers chapter on Sunday, August 14 at 2:00 p.m. EASTERN via Zoom. Lisa Unger is the New York Times and internationally bestselling author of twenty novels, including one now in development at Netflix starring Jessica Alba. With books published in thirty-one languages and millions of copies sold worldwide, Unger is regarded as a master of suspense. Email the chapter for the Zoom link:
4) Wendall Thomas, who teaches in the Graduate Film School at UCLA, will offer a six-hour Zoom webinar on “Writing Great Sequences for Film and Television,” from 10am to 1pm on Saturday and Sunday August 27/28.
Go to the Private Classes pages on her website for a course description and contact info for registration: https://www.wendallthomas.com/private-classes
5) Bruce Holsinger, author and literary scholar, will speak on Saturday August 13 at 11 am to the Coastal Cruisers chapter of SinC. You are invited to Join by Zoom (link below). Bruce is the author of the USA Today and Los Angeles Times-bestselling novel The Gifted School, named one of the Best Books of 2019 by NPR. The novel is currently in development as a TV series with NBC/Universal Television.
6) Jane Friedman has several upcoming webinars at $25 each.
August 4: “Research Agents & Publishers Like A Pro.”
August 18: “I Need A Platform Pronto!”
August 24: “Mastering Suspense & Tension”
Jane has 20 years of experience in the publishing industry, with expertise in business strategy for authors and publishers.
7) Check out Jane Cleland’s monthly FREE webinars. Jane is a teacher and crime writer, a winner of the Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity awards. Her how-to book, Mastering Plot Twists, is a classic.
8) SISTERS IN CRIME WEBINAR ARCHIVES
Free to Sisters in Crime Members
9) JANE FRIEDMAN’S WRITING ADVICE ARCHIVES